Have you ever wondered what it’s like to breathe underwater..?
If you want to find out but aren’t quite ready to take the plunge into a certification course, Discover Scuba Diving will let you try scuba to see if you like it. We offer this program at the Fredericton Indoor Pool and Bathurst Aquatic Center.
While not an actual scuba certification, during the Discover Scuba Diving experience you’ll learn how to use scuba equipment in shallow water and get a quick and easy introduction to what it takes to explore the underwater world.
The Fun Part
There is nothing like breathing underwater for the very first time. It takes a little getting used to –after all, human beings weren’t designed to do that – but after a few minutes of awestruck wonder, most participants realize how easy scuba diving really is. The biggest challenge instructors have with the Discover Scuba Diving program is not coaxing participants into the water, but coaxing them out when the program is over. The fun part? It’s all fun!
Plus, you can get credit! We will credit up to $25 towards your Scuba Diver or Open Water Certification, should you decide to continue your training with us within 6 months of your Discover Scuba completion date.
What You Learn
You learn the basics you need to dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Professional. One thing you’ll learn is that you really can breathe underwater and whether you like doing that or not. You will:
- Learn what wearing scuba equipment feels like and how easy it is to move around underwater while wearing it
- Find out what it’s like to breathe underwater and learn whether you can be comfortable there
- Learn some basic skills and safety rules that will carry over to your full scuba certification course when you take the next step
The Scuba Gear You Use
All the equipment you will need is included in a Discover Scuba Diving experience. You’ll use all the basic scuba gear including a mask , snorkel and fins, a buoyancy compensating jacket that also carries your scuba tank, a scuba regulator to breathe from and instrumentation to monitor depth and air supply. You might also wear a scuba wetsuit or a weight system depending on where you do your Discover Scuba Diving program.
The Learning Materials You Need
- Just your willingness and undivided attention
- To take Discover Scuba Diving, you must be a minimum of 10 years old
- Review the PADI Medical Release here: English or Français. If you have any "Yes" answers on the medical questionnaire, contact us for a form your physician will need to sign, before you can participate in the pool session